Food Service Provider Aligns Staffing with Demand and Saves Big
Client: Fortune 500, global food service, facilities and uniform services provider
Estimated early savings amount to more than 2% of total labor with savings of 5-10% being targeted when the program is fully deployed.
The Global Operational Excellence team is well on their way to helping achieve the program objectives. customer experience because not enough labor was present.
Workforce Insight helped design and implement a flexible solution that gave field managers a dashboard with precise data to help them optimize staffing levels. As presented to managers, the results provide specific measurement of the opportunities, and visually demonstrate where, when and how labor can be optimized. The labor optimization and staffing planning solution is identifying significant opportunities across the client’s business units.
Client Goals & Challenges:
As part of an initiative to improve costs, the client’s Global Operational Excellence team enlisted Workforce Insight to participate on a steering committee to tackle one of their biggest challenges: planning for and staffing the optimal headcount levels in their business units that have the most dynamic demand patterns. Because customer traffic varies widely from day-to-day and even down to 15-minute intervals, any misalignment in staffing meant the client was either spending too much on labor or delivering a sub-par customer experience because not enough labor was present. Workforce Insight helped design and implement a flexible solution that gave field managers a dashboard with precise data to help them optimize staffing levels.
Workforce Insight Solution:
Staffing Optimization – Analytics Solution
Workforce Insight rapidly developed a cloud-based staffing planning and optimization solution that aggregated large volumes of transaction data, delivered a unified model for multiple business units, and presented key performance indicators in an easy-to-follow dashboard. This included:
- The ability to integrate and analyze sales and labor data by individual location, by week and day of week, and in 15-minute time increments.
- Analysis of labor demand patterns and labor costs over the course of a given day or event.
- Calculation of productivity, using transactions per labor hour as a metric. The system measured actual productivity for each location and day, and compared it to previously achieved levels for the same location to determine an optimally-required level of labor.
- The solution measured the optimal headcount versus actual headcount to indicate areas of opportunity.
- The solution forecasts projected demand based on historical daily sales curves and changes in overall projected demand, and then provides a guideline for staffing needs.
To facilitate adoption of the solution, Workforce Insight staffing experts went into the field and coached the client’s managers on how to use the new information.